The History of 251 Jackson Street
What exactly is the history behind 251 Jackson Street? Find out below!
Date: c. 1870
Alteration date: c. 1900
Style of Addition: vernacular
Foundation Material: limestone
Wall construction: brick
Roof type and Material: sable, asphalt shingle
Exterior Wall Material: brick, common bond
Important Interior and Exterior Features: The house existed in 1872, and also remains unchanged through the 18911 and 1899 maps. In 1901, a porch and entry piece were added. Also, by 1922 a small frame addition was made to the rear. An outbuilding appears behind the house between 1922 and 1951. A chimney was also added to the center of the sable.
History and significance: Richard Albert acquired the property in 1976. Stella Albert occupied the house before he did. Stella (widow of Christ Albert) owned the property singly (1961-1976) and jointly with Christ Albert (1923-61). Christ was a shoeworker and the couple lived here. Before the Alberts, the Doelker family owned the house. Benjamin Doelker (1921-23), Margaretha Doelker (1910-21) and John Doelker, a grocer of J Doelker and Sons (1904-10) owned the property. The Doelkers rented it out. In 1911-12 it was occupied by William Voltz, a laborer, and Weldon E. Earber (rear), a bartender. Otto Buehler, a maltster, owned and occupied the house from 1900 to 1904. Franz Santo, a brewer (1895-1900) bought the property in 1895 from Sheriff James Ross. The property was sold as a result of a lawsuit brought by Margaret Schmidt against Daniel Krebs, Margaret Krebs, Fredinant Bauman, and Otto W. Gall, executor of the estate of Jacob Gall, deceased (case 31406, Court of Common Pleas Franklin Co). Daniel Krebs, a laborer who occupied 251 Jackson, had acquired the property from George Schneider in 1879. Margaret Schneider owned the property from 1879 to 1887. Fred Schneider had bought it from James Bryden through an administrator in 1852.
Description of Environment and Outbuildings: cement block garage
Above is the Sanborn map outline of 251 Jackson Street as it would have appeared in German Village in 1891.
Kelly & Scot Helton
Learn more about 251 Jackson Street’s owners, Kelly and Scot Helton!
Just last month, Scot and Kelly Helton were awarded the German Village Commission’s Preservation Award for their work on this home, which they purchased three years ago. The award recognizes an outstanding example of restoration, preservation or maintenance of a property or architectural element in German Village – and that’s certainly the case here.
At first glance, your attention is instantly drawn beyond the wrought iron fence into the large side yard; often, a yard of this size would be used to erect another home. But Scot and Kelly drew on their love of Parisian gardens and completely redesigned it into a gorgeous outdoor oasis. Sharp lines and hedges separate the grassy area from the patio. Nearby, an outhouse that was built sometime between 1922 and 1951 has been expanded into a garage.
Scot and Kelly did a lot more than beautify the outdoor space, though – and during the couple’s restoration work, they carefully selected contractors who use reclaimed materials and were skilled in historic home renovation. They had the master bath window (including the intricate pulley-and-weights system), porch roof, chimney and front doors fixed.
The home has two front doors (as with many older homes, one originally lead to the living room, and the other to the kitchen), but don’t be confused. The functional front door leads to the kitchen, which incorporates a fabulous dark and light blue color scheme. The lighter countertop of the island is a nice contrast to the darker counter surrounding the room. And you’ll notice a gorgeous mural in the backsplash of the bar that reads “Jackson St,” which was put in by the previous owner when remodeling. And beyond that striking detail, the living room is beautifully decorated by the couple with bold pieces and antique Parisian artwork.
The house’s back door once opened into a vestibule that led to the basement. That door is no longer functional, and the vestibule has now been converted into the master bathroom. Hidden in the master bedroom closet? A stairway to the basement. (“Expect the unexpected,” as we like to say!)
A descendant of the original homeowner’s family wrote the Heltons to express gratitude for their work to make the house a home again. She shared that her grandmother was born in the kitchen, her great-grandmother passed away in the living room and – during prohibition – spaces were created to hide alcohol.
The memories that family made were plentiful. Now Kelly and Scot will continue to make their own.