GET CONNECTED – STAY CONNECTED:
There’s no better way to get connected to our neighborhood than through the German Village Society. Opportunities abound to meet new friends, help steer the future of our neighborhood, have a voice in things that matter, explore areas that interest you, and even become an event planner extraordinaire. Take a look at the various Standing Committees, AD HOC Committees, and Other Groups that are all buzzing with excitement in the Village. If you think one or more interest you, send the Contact person an email or just show up at their next meeting – It’s just that simple! Come on and help make German Village an even better Neighborhood!
VOLUNTEER COMMITEE OPPORTUNITIES
Interested in getting connected to the neighborhood? There’s no better way than through the German Village Society. Meet new friends, explore areas that interest you, have a voice in things that matter, and help steer the future of German Village and the GVS. Contact information for each committee is listed below.
• Adopt-A-School: Volunteers at Stewart Elementary tutor and help with special projects through out the year. Kathy Wightman – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Civic Relations: Serve as a German Village ambassador by developing relationships with city, county and state government representatives, the Columbus Police, a variety of historic and community organizations, and more. Nelson Genshaft – NEG@columbuslawyer.net
• Community Garden: Claim your very own plot (or find a friend and share) and enjoy fresh, homegrown organic vegetables all summer long or assist with the communal plots, which help stock the Livingston United Methodist Church food pantry. Elspeth Willoughby – email@example.com
• Friends of Schiller Park: Join a group with a passion for this beautiful public park where volunteers maintain the perimeter gardens and monitor the care of our historic trees and the parks’ maintenance needs. Katharine Moore – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Gardeners (Huntington Gardens, Schiller Park, and Frank Fetch Park): Help maintain the beautiful gardens and chat with new friends over flowers. Bert Stevens – email@example.com Jerry Glick – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Go Grün/Go Green: Help develop sustainable, green initiatives and education in our uniquely urban and historic community. email@example.com
• Historic Preservation: Help the Village retain the character and distinction of the past while creating a thriving and contemporary community in German Village. Chris Hune – CLHune@teamfishel.com
• Livingston United Methodist Church Food Pantry: The food pantry is open three days a month and volunteers are needed to distribute groceries and help greet clients. Jim Donnan – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Long-Range Planning: This group works toward shaping the future of German Village and helps to keep the Village a celebrated, vibrant downtown neighborhood with historic integrity and a charming, pedestrian-friendly streetscape. Matt Eshelbrenner – Matthew_Eshelbrenner@abercrombie.com
• Marketing: Assist in designing and implementing consistent GVS brand standards across all printed and electronic materials. Beth Ervin – email@example.com
• Membership: Help us welcome, connect, and engage our community. Erin O’Donnell – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Prost! An informal group that sponsors social events for young German Villagers. Sevy Kraner – email@example.com
• Special Event Planning: Haus und Garten Tour, Monster Bash, Pet Parade, Chili Today/Hot Tamale, Village Lights, and more in which you serve with a group planning an event, or help out on event day. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Streetscape: Join a group that’s working to make our streets and public spaces beautiful, safe and welcoming. Tim Bibler – email@example.com
• Tour Guide: Tell the story of the settlement and restoration of German Village, including with scavenger hunts for school groups. Russ Arledge – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Village Singers: If you love to sing, this is the group for you and auditions are held for specialty numbers only, so there’s a place for everyone. Wayne Owens – email@example.com
• Visitor Center: Donate two to four hours a week or to fill in when “regulars” are away to welcome visitors to the Village, assist members, and also help the staff at the Meeting Haus with small office projects. Pam Bergeron -firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, there are committees such as Finance, Development, and Organizational Development that might interest you. To explore the many opportunities available to GVS members, email email@example.com or call 614.221.8888.