Everyone has that one little spot in the sidewalk that always makes them trip while they are walking to work, but that can be fixed!
- Sidewalks are paid for and maintained by individual property owners (homeowner, landlord, business owner, etc.)
- The property owner is responsible for any repairs and other maintenance to the sidewalks, including snow and ice removal.
- Because sidewalk maintenance is the responsibility of the individual property owner, he/she must fill out a Historic Commission Review application to be approved by the German Village Commission if he/she wishes to repair the sidewalk, add a sidewalk, or perform any general maintenance to a sidewalk. Click here for an application form.
- Existing brick materials should be replaced with brick, and it is encouraged that existing concrete sidewalks be replaced with clay brick, however this is not required.
- The Commission has preapproved three brick patterns: basket weave, herringbone and stretcher bond. Follow this link for more guidelines on how to appropriately repair your sidewalk.
- After the Commission has approved your application, you must receive a permit from the city to build a sidewalk or replace an existing sidewalk. Permits may be obtained at the Transportation Division offices, 109 North Front Street, Third Floor, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Replacement sidewalk $40; new sidewalk $75; drawing required for new sidewalk. For other questions about permits, call 614-645-7497.
- Payment may be cash (exact change only), VISA, MasterCard or check made payable to Columbus City Treasurer; fee charged for credit cards.
- Click here to view more answers to FAQs about sidewalk repair.
- Still have questions or need to report a sidewalk that is in need of repair? Send an e-mail to email@example.com, or call the Department of Public Services at (614) 645-3111.
- Click here to view the German Village Society Streetscape Committee’s Sidewalk Repair/Replacement Brochure for further information.
Have other questions or concerns about city services? You can contact our Neighborhood Liaison for Area V (Livingston Avenue to the City Limits and Alum Creek to the Scioto River) Jo Anne St. Clair at 614-645-5220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there a topic you would like to know more about? Please let us know so we can help you help German Village!