Our Donors Make It Happen
Whether you can put your finger on it or not, you can bet the things you love about German Village are a direct result of the work of German Village Society. We are that 58-year-old glue, the heart, the nerve center where the community gathers to – well – make a community. German Village Society is made of our volunteers, our members – our donors.
Your financial support of our work, through your membership gift, helps us to implement our mission and five-year strategic plan, adopted in 2015.
Please see the impact our donors make below and the benefits you’ll enjoy as a donor to our historic preservation mission.
Thank you for supporting and being a part of the German Village Society!
EVERY donor receives:
- BRAGGING RIGHTS: your donation advances the mission and is tax deductible
- EARLY NOTICE: be the first to know about events and happenings in German Village, including weekly Neighbors4Neighbors eNewsletter
- DISCOUNTS: reduced prices on event tickets, reduced rates for room rentals
- COMMUNITY: biennial directory (name inclusion plus 1 copy), package delivery service, and car decal to show your pride in place
- MEMBERSHIP: your gift recognizes you as a member of GVS
Join As A Neighbor, Visitor or Admirer!
The Impact You Make...
At the German Village Society, our mission is simple: preserve, protect and promote life in the Village. We help to make this neighborhood both a vibrant community and a vital part of our city’s economy. The Village cannot be created or replicated. It can only be sustained – through the passion of volunteers and funding from donors and civic-minded companies that benefit from Columbus thriving.
Here is where your dollars are, in part, invested:
- Sidewalk repairs: GVS volunteers have already fixed 7 sidewalks in 9 sunny months. Next, we will invest money to incentivize repairs by offering property owners incentive grants of up to $700.
- Improve Third Street – add safety features, invest in infrastructure, and restore the historic feel of our “main street” in partnership with the City.
- Oral Histories: 36 stories of preservationists collected to date, with 12/year for next 5 years planned.
- Visitors Center remodel: More than 10,000 people visit each year, and the improved education center will use the latest interactive museum techniques.
- Comprehensive Signage: We are now in Phase II to install directional, wayfinding, storytelling, street signs and historic markers throughout the historic footprint. 25 signs will be installed by year’s end with a tiered approach to install more over 10-15 years.
- Update National Register: On the Register since 1974, GVS is resurveying the district and amending our specific ephemeral stories, such as preservation and LGBTQ pioneers.
Watch Your Support In Action...
"But What's In It For Me?"
|Young Professional ($35-49)||Membership for one individual donor + 20% off building rentals|
|Neighbor ($50-74)||Membership for one individual donor + 20% off building rentals|
|Neighbor Household ($75-124)||Membership for two individual donors + 20% off building rentals|
|Brick Layer ($125-249)||Neighbor Household + Two (2) Haus und Garten Tour tickets + 20% off building rentals|
|Mason ($250-499)||Brick Layer + 50% off building rentals + Two (2) Village Lights drink tokens|
|Builder ($500-999)||Mason + Two (2) Monster Bash tickets + Two (2) Art Crawl Tickets|
|Placemaker ($1,000-2,499)||Builder + Invite for two (2) to private dinner|
|Preservationist ($2,500-4,999)||Placemaker + Two (2) Haus und Garten PreTour tickets|
|Archivist ($5,000+)||Preservationist + Two (2) Patron Haus und Garten PreTour tickets + Two (2) Tea 43206 tickets|
Join As A Business!
Watch Our Businesses Create Community..
How GVS Promotes Your Business...
- Your business listed on our visitor maps: 100,000 distributed across Ohio: 10 ODOT welcome centers, Port Columbus Airport, Central Ohio hotels, Hocking Hills, Amish Country, Arnold Sports Classic, new German Village residents and year-round residence at the Columbus Convention Center.
- Business member page on our website com which has seen year-over-year growth since 2016 launch – 33% growth in unique users; 23% growth in page views
- Your business spotlighted in our weekly e-newsletter – Neighbors4Neighbors — which highlights members’ specials, events and happenings in the Village. More than 1,300 subscribers consume this publication each month with an open rate of over 40 percent.
- Joint member marketing and advertising opportunities.
- Business referrals through the German Village Society Meeting Haus Visitors Center, which sees 20,000 people through its doors each year.
- Access to GVS staff liaison and a social media community of over 18,000 followers across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Two listings in our biennial Donor Directory
- Two tickets to the German Village Haus und Garten Tour (last Sunday in June)
You Don't Have To Be In The Bricks To Support The Bricks
“Am I Beyond the Bricks?”
You don’t have to be on the bricks to do business on the bricks. In fact, many businesses that choose to partner with the German Village Business Community are located outside German Village proper.
While businesses with a neighborhood address receive a discount on membership because of their economic impact on our community, we don’t exclude any neighbor who would like to join.
As such, any interested member outside the boundaries on the map below is subject to the $350/year membership rate.