Marie Logothetis | Brick Sidewalk Committee Member
The German Village Society’s Brick Sidewalk Committee is delighted to share some good news concerning our ongoing efforts to engage the entire neighborhood in the preservation, repair, and maintenance of German Village’s brick sidewalks.
We are pleased to announce the resumption of the Brick Sidewalk Grant program. This initiative, established in 2017, has awarded to date $13,400 with 22 homeowners receiving grant funding. The program was suspended in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. However, thanks to the dedicated efforts of GVS staff and Sidewalk Committee volunteers, a grant in the amount of $10,000 was secured from the Gordon Chandler Memorial Fund for historic preservation at the Columbus Foundation in late 2022. This funding along with $3,000 from a generous anonymous donor allows for the reactivation of this important and popular initiative. Many thanks and kudos for everyone’s efforts in making this come to pass.
For those who are unfamiliar with the grant program, this initiative is designed to provide financial assistance to homeowners embarking on sidewalk repairs. While many German Village sidewalks are in excellent condition, others pose safety and accessibility challenges. Here is a brief overview of the program:
- Both members and non-members of the German Village Society can apply. Renters are encouraged to share information about the program with their landlords who can then apply.
- The repairs made must comply with design guidelines and do require a Certificate of Appropriateness from the German Village Commission.
- Applicants are eligible for an award of $500 for brick-to-brick repairs or $700 for concrete-to-brick conversion.
- All applications submitted are subject to review by a volunteer-led Brick Sidewalks Grant Committee.
- Location, pedestrian traffic, and degree of deterioration will determine the applicant’s eligibility to receive sidewalk repair funding.
The brick sidewalks of German Village serve a vital role, marrying an aesthetic appeal that contributes to the distinctive character of the neighborhood with their function as the very pathways that connect neighbors and sustain community. We are excited to see the resumption of this important work that aligns so closely with the mission of the German Village Society.
Applications and more information can be found online at germanvillage.com/sidewalks.