Through the efforts of the German Village Society, German Village is designated as a Preserve America Neighborhood, the first in Ohio to achieve this national honor. On January 10, 1960, a small group of dedicated, preservation-minded people met to explore the possibility of forming an association to help save this neighborhood from decline. In just a few months, community activist Frank Fetch recruited 183 people to charter the German Village Society. Now, 60 years later, our neighborhood is a vibrant community known for its charming brick streets and sidewalks, beautifully tended gardens and homes, pedestrian-friendly lifestyle, thriving shops, restaurants and businesses, and year-round volunteer and social events that deepen and expand our connection with this incredible community. At the heart of our special neighborhood is the German Village Society, a non-profit organization that is at the forefront of efforts to strengthen, enhance and promote our community. The challenges have been many, and the successes countless.
Connect with us by joining the German Village Society. Stay connected by renewing your membership. The first 60 years have been glorious. Please join us as we embark on the next 60. Membership dollars go toward the operation of the German Village Society, including our historic preservation education and outreach programs, the operation of the Meeting Haus, our staff, web site and other activities. Your support is greatly appreciated, and your gift is completely tax deductible! Our operating budget comes from events such as the Haus und Garten Tour, membership dues, grants, corporate sponsorship, and contributions. Our expenses include staff, community programs, publications such as the newsletter, membership directory, website, and the operations of the Meeting Haus and contributions to area organizations. The members of the German Village Society serve as Caretakers of A Legacy, dedicated to retaining the character and distinction of the past, while creating a thriving and contemporary community in German Village. The German Village Society is a non-profit organization that acts on members’ behalf to preserve our historic neighborhood by:
- Educating local & state gov’t leaders to value, protect & enhance our community
- Supporting the historical character of our properties
- Providing a Visitor Center to welcome and educate visitors
- Providing a Meeting Haus for gathering and celebrating
- Partnering with other organizations to enhance our parks and the presence of the arts in our community
- Encouraging volunteerism and supporting events that weave the community together, that introduce new friends and that help make the Village a vibrant community
- A myriad of efforts & activities for the good of the neighborhood such as above.
- Early announcement for events & 20% discounts on GVS events & publications
- Special member appreciation activities
- Periodic specials from German Village Business Community businesses
- 20% discount on Meeting Haus space rental